e-Portfolio Organizer

Digication e-Portfolio Organizer Help Guide

As you update your e-Portfolio you may want to use the Organizer to reorganize the sections, pages and modules. You can also use the Organizer to duplicate sections, pages and modules and to change the order of any of your sections, pages and modules.

If you have multiple e-Portfolios, you may also copy and move sections, pages and modules across e-Portfolios. If you have backup e-Portfolios available this tool can also be used to restore any missing information.

Where do I access the e-Portfolio Organizer?

Click on any e-Portfolio listed in the My e-Portfolios area of your Digication homepage after you have logged in.

1.png

Then click on the Portfolio Tools drop-down menu near the top right of the page. Then in the Portfolio Tools menu click on the Organizer option.

2.png

Ok, I’ve got the Organizer open, now what?

Now that you’ve got the Organizer open select the e-Portfolios you’d like to organize. You can select one or two e-Portfolios from the drop-down menus.

3.png

After the e-Portfolios are selected from the drop-down menus, you will see the overall structure of your e-Portfolio appear as a tree with all the sections, pages and modules it contains.

4.png

What do the Icons signify?

5.png The blue E icon is your e-Portfolio.

6.png The brown S icon is a section in your e-Portfolio.

7.png The purple P is a page in your e-Portfolio.

8.png The green M is a module on a section or page in your e-Portfolio.

9.pngAn icon with a red indicator signifies backup content available.

The section title, page title and module type will display next to the icons to make it easy for you to organize your e-Portfolio.

What do the Copy and Preview options do?

As you hover over a section, page or module, you’ll see an option to copy or preview.

The copy option will duplicate the section, page or module.

The preview option will open up the section or page in a new browser window so that you can view it before making changes.

(Before Copy)

10.png

(After Copy)

11.png

How do I move the sections, pages or modules in my e-Portfolio?

To move a section, page or module simply drag and drop it in to a new location in the tree. A line will appear across the tree to show you where it will be dropped. You can drag and drop sections, pages and modules within a single e-Portfolio or you can drag and drop and drop sections, pages and modules between two e-Portfolios.

12.png

When you are done organizing your e-Portfolio simply click on the Home link at the top of the page to return to your homepage.

Have more questions? Submit a request

7 Comments

• 0
    Avatar
    michael r. moore

Why copy / duplicate?

Hi: just a quick question: why would someone want to copy or duplicate a section, a page or a module? Is there a scenario where that would be useful? Moving things around -- "drag and drop it in to a new location in the tree" -- makes sense and will be wildly useful. But I'm trying to figure out why someone would want to copy or duplicate materials.

Thanks,

Michael

• 0
    Avatar
    Jeff Yan

Hi Michael, great question! In many ways, the new Organizer tool allows you to duplicate materials in more flexible ways than the existing "Make a Copy" function:

Screen_shot_2011-12-12_at_7.47.03_AM.png

Thank you for pointing this out. It is likely that we will be "retiring" the "Make a Copy" feature soon in the future.

Best,

Jeff

• 0
    Avatar
    michael r. moore

Thanks, Jeff! Makes sense.

I love how these comments appear, by the way.

Best,

Michael

• 0
    Avatar
    Ben McFadyen

We depend on the capabilities to make a copy of an entire portfolio for student certification portfolios, where it is imperative that all sections be alike.

Similarly the capabilities to copy or duplicate a section, a page or a module will be extremely helpful for those items that instructors want to use as templates or models, or were complex or time-consuming to create, or its owner wishes to re-purpose that module, page, or portfolio.

Manyfaculty are not familiar with using a computer outside of Microsoft Office or dedicated campus applications. Digication increases their comfort level because of its simplicity and the ability to provide multiple levels of starting points.

Here's an example:

https://elon.digication.com/anne_simpkins_portfolio/Gallery_12

So please do NOT retire any copy or duplicating functionality!

Thanks,

Ben

• 0
    Avatar
    Kelly

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the feedback - we also think the Make a Copy and the new Organizer features for copying and moving individual sections, pages and modules are extremely useful. 

Don't worry - we have no plans to retire these features - we use them ourselves every day!

Best,

Kelly

• 0
    Avatar
    michael r. moore

Yes, Ben -- that's very helpful, indeed.

Thanks!

Best,

Michael

• 0
    Avatar
    Randa Thomas

I was looking for info about creating a custom template. If I'm understanding it correctly,  if I make a portfolio with required headings and "upload your sample here" kinds of cues,  my students can then copy it to rename and complete as their own, allowing them to concentrate on content rather than structure. Does that sound right?

Please sign in to leave a comment.