New Digication Dashboard Beta Release

Over the past few months, we have been hard at work on some exciting new features for Digication!

We are pleased to announce the first beta release of our new Dashboard. This new Dashboard gives your Digication home page a new look and what is just the beginning of a lot of great new functionality for Digication users.

Activate your new Dashboard

Digication System Administrators are encouraged to contact support@digication.com to request access to this new beta feature for their schools or their individual accounts.

Not an Administrator? You can still try the new Dashboard for your individual account! Contact support@digication.com to request the Dashboard for your account.

Screen_Shot_2012-07-19_at_12.59.09_PM.png

My Updates

This new Dashboard features an entirely new area, "My Updates", that will give users more immediate feedback and also encourage community discussion. Since student and teacher conversations are very important to the learning process, we have focused the new Dashboard "My Updates" area around your e-Portfolios. Whenever a classmate leaves you a comment on your e-Portfolio, their recent activity will show up on your Dashboard, where you can easily view the new comments. 

We believe seeing both your updates and your classmates' updates will allow for many more conversations and expose your e-Portfolios to a greater audience. If you're concerned about privacy, you'll be comforted to know that your e-Portfolios and comments will only display to those whom you have given access in your e-Portfolio Settings page. If you have only given a few individuals at your school the ability to see your e-portfolio, only those individuals will be able to see your updates. If you have shared your e-Portfolio publicly or with the school community your classmates will be able to see your e-Portfolio comments as they are approved.

To get started viewing updates, leave a comment on one of your own e-Portfolios, or someone else's!

Screen_shot_2012-07-07_at_10.17.34_AM.png

My Courses

In the "My Courses" area, we've added a link to bring you directly to Course e-Portfolios so you don't have to search around to find them.

We are excited about these new features and the improved experience they will bring you. Since this is a beta release, some features may change slightly and many more will be added in the upcoming weeks. Your feedback is very important to us and we look forward to hearing your questions, concerns, and encouragement. 

Please submit your feedback to: support@digication.com

Additional Dashboard FAQ

Will I see old comments in the “My Updates” area?

No, only comments made since your new Dashboard was enabled will appear in your “My Updates” area.

Whose comments will show up in the “My Updates” area?

Your comments, and the comments of your instructors and your classmates in any of your courses, as well as comments made on any other e-Portfolios to which you have been given access will appear in your “My Updates” area.

What about comments that require approval?

Only after a comment has been approved will it be visible in the “My Updates” area. Comments will appear in the stream in the order in which they were created, but only after being approved.

Will any other updates appear in the “My Updates” area?

At this time only comments will be visible in the My Updates area but yes, we are working to add other types of updates to your “My Updates” area in the future.

Will I see updates from courses and e-Portfolios to which I am subscribed in the “My Updates” area?

Not yet, but we will add updates from your subscriptions in the future.

Have more questions? Submit a request

4 Comments

• 0
    Avatar
    Brown, Sarah

A few of us at DePaul have been testing the beta Dashboard, and it looks great! We have a few points of feedback:

1. In the upper-right corner, my name has a mysterious comma following it (likely pulling it from the database where my last name may have a comma following). See image "comma_after_name."

2. Next to the list of portfolios, the text on the "Create" button is small and difficult to read. See image "size_of_create_text."

3. In the list of portfolios, the icon images are being cut off oddly. See "size_of_icons." 

4. When I click "Show All" under my portfolios, it would be nice if that took me to a screen showing just all portfolios, rather than listing them down the side. As a user with many portfolios, that makes the scrolling in my window really long.

Thanks!

Sarah

comma_after_name.jpg
    size_of_create_text.jpg
    size_of_icons.jpg
  • 0
    Avatar
    Julia Wolin

Thanks for the feedback, Sarah! I've passed along your comments to the development team. I know at least a couple of your concerns are already on their radar!

• 0
    Avatar
    Heather Cleary

Okay, I've finally had a chance to play around with the new Dashboard. I have lots of notes.

General

1. I really, really, really agree with Sarah's #4 above.

2. The link to "Courses" in the top nav menu takes me back to Home: https://ospace.otis.edu.app.digication.com/dashboard. I expected to be taken to the old Courses/Communities page or have that content move to the center. 

3. Where are the buttons or links to see older/past courses and communities? There is only the green button to create a new one.

4. Will the other pages, like People, get the new look as well?

My Updates

5. The Load # More and Show All links are not working for me. Instead, I get a spinning arrow. Also, it looks like some graphics are not loading. See "ospace-home-arrowspin.jpg."

6. Will there be any kind of "mark as read" option for these updates? Will users be able to customize how many updates appear? Right now it seems that 4-5 e-portfolios appear with the latest 2 pages loaded.

7. The View all messages link does work. Is there a way to collapse it afterwards without reloading the page? If I click on the name of the page, it takes me to the e-portfolio.

Customizations

8. What kind of customizations can admins do? I'd like to change the header and and .ico.

9.We have a custom text box that appears on the home page that includes Otis-specific help links as well as broadcast some announcements. Can it be migrated to the new Dashboard? Or will there be new and nifty widgets available, like a banner-type announcement?

10. How will this change how our custom URL works? The new dashboard goes to ospace.otis.edu.app.digication.com instead of just ospace.otis.edu. I'm probably one of the few people at Otis who will notice, but I want to make sure that it doesn't compromise usability.

Thanks!

Heather

ospace-home-arrowspin.JPG
  • 0
    Avatar
    Cynthia Davidson

All of my portfolios do not show in the list of portfolios.  When I click See More, nothing happens, so to find my other portfolios, I must search for them in the Directory.

Please sign in to leave a comment.