Dear Digication Community,
We would like to share several updates to our user interface to improve the usability and accessibility of Digication. Most users who do not regularly use screen readers will not be affected by these changes.
These changes will include:
- Improvements to screen reader interactions throughout the Digication interface
- Minor adjustments to colors and spacing in the user interface
While this update includes many changes that apply to user interfaces throughout Digication, the following highlights some of the accessibility updates:
- Added accessible name for portfolio action menu.
- Modified color for notifications count to improve the color contrast ratio.
- Set “Skip To” link to no longer be obscured by the “D” button
- Added labels for delete, increment, decrement stepper buttons in module settings of form modules.
- Added conversation modal to accessibility tree.
- Removed unsupported attribute for meta tag.
- Enabled zooming on mobile devices.
- Styled the section names, module names and rich text headings as heading level 2.
- Added article landmark for sections and labeled them using section names if available, instructional sections are labeled as “Instructional Section : <sectionname>”.
- Labeled section buttons using section names. e.g. “Open settings menu for Section : <sectionname>” or, for instructional section buttons, “Open settings menu for Instructional Section : <sectionname>”
- Added region landmark for all modules and labeled the modules using module name if available.Module buttons - edit, open settings, move, delete etc. are also labeled using the module name for e.g. “Edit Text module : <modulename>”
- Added labels for people page input filters
- Added ePortfolio title and page as heading level 1.
- Added landmarks for header section and top bar containing edit and publish mode buttons.
- Made gallery buttons accessible via keyboard.
- Announce font names correctly using Firefox browser.
- Added visual focus indicator on the library page for template drop down.
- Added labels for the colors in the color picker.
- Added labels for icons of number of eP views, number of students and number of ePortfolios in courses on the Home page.
- Styled ePortfolios and course names as heading level 3 on the Home and Login pages.
- Added header landmark for the Login page.
Some more updates will occur in the week of June 13, 2022 for the rich text/equation module detailed in the May 27, 2022 Digication Rich Text/Equation Module Improvements.
- Improve keyboard accessibility of toolbar for rich text/equation module, prompt module, short text prompt, conversations, and captions.
- Improve usability of rich text/equation module with keyboard shortcuts.
- Prevent Instruction text from overlaying the rich text/equation module editor toolbar.
We would like to thank everyone who has helped us identify the accessibility improvements we have implemented and continue to work towards. If you have questions or feedback, as always, we encourage you to reach out to our team at email@example.com.
Your Friends at Digication