Version: Kora Courses, October 4, 2023 or later
Permissions required: Faculty
To connect your Canvas course to Digication, first, make sure that you are enrolled in the Canvas course as an instructor. Only an instructor can initiate a course connection with Digication.
Add a Digication link to your course navigation
- Go to Settings (1), and click Navigation (2). You’ll see the Digication link (3) as a disabled course navigation link.
- Drag the Digication link into your course menu and save your navigation. Now you’ll see the Digication link in your course navigation (4).
Click the Digication link to create the course connection to Digication. This link will take you to the dashboard of your Digication course.
New Digication user
If you do not yet have a Digication account, you will see one of two screens, depending on your school’s Canvas integration settings.
If your school allows your Canvas integration to create new Digication accounts, you will be logged directly into Digication with your new account, and you will need to accept the terms and conditions to proceed.
If your school has disabled account creation via your LMS integration, you will see the following message: "No user found with sync ID xxxxxx."
- In this case, you will need to contact your school’s administrators to obtain a Digication account.
Existing Digication user
If you already have a Digication account, you will be immediately logged into your account. If your school’s system settings allow it, the integration will create a course that has the same course information as your LMS course, and you will be taken to the home page (1) for your new Digication course.
Assignments in Digication
The Assignments area in Digication is where you can provide instructions, prompts, and templates to your students.
When creating assignments for your students, the recommended workflow is:
- Create Digication assignments in Digication.
- Optionally add a direct link to the Digication assignments in Canvas.
- Have your students access the Digication assignments and complete and submit their work in Digication.
- You can review student submissions directly in Digication. The grading area allows for grading, outcomes assessments, and comments on student's submissions. Grades saved in Digication can be automatically posted in Canvas.
- Click the “Assignment +” (1) to create a Digication assignment.
- You’ll be taken to the Assignment creation screen (2), where you can add all the details of your assignment.
Options to send grade to Canvas
- Enable “Send grade to Canvas” (1) in the assignment settings.
- A grade column will be created automatically in the Canvas gradebook when you grade your first submission.
If you would like to create direct links to specific Digication assignments within Canvas, for more information please see “Advanced features: integration with Canvas”.
- To grade a Digication assignment, locate the assignment on your Digication dashboard and click “REVIEW SUBMISSIONS” (1).
- You’ll be taken to the first assignment submission. Click “GRADE” (2) to enter a grade. Click “SAVE” (3) to save the grade.
- Once you’ve saved your grade, a HISTORY link will appear. This provides a log of all grading activity for this submission.
Grade sync to Canvas
If the assignment you are grading has the Canvas grade sync enabled, your grade should automatically be sent to Canvas after you save the grade. This may take a few seconds after you save the grade.
- You can confirm that the grade was sent to Canvas by clicking the “HISTORY” link (1).
- You can also check the Grades area (2) in Canvas to see that the grade has been sent.
Please note that the grade sync is a one-way sync from Digication to Canvas.
- Any grade changes made and saved on the Digication assignment will be updated in the Canvas Grade area.
- Any grade changes made in the Canvas Grades area will not be reflected on the Digication side.
For more information about making changes to a Digication assignment that is connected to Canvas and troubleshooting the grade sync connection, please see “Advanced features: integration with Canvas”.
When you connect your Canvas course to Digication, all members of your Canvas course will be imported into Digication. This will enroll all of the students who are in your Canvas course into your Digication course.
- You can review who is in your Digication course by clicking the People link (1).
- After the initial connection is made, you can perform a manual import to update your roster from Canvas. To do a manual roster import, click the People link and click “IMPORT ROSTERS” (2).
- Then, you can choose whether you want to “Enroll and drop users according to LMS roster” (3).
If you enable this option, users will be dropped from the Digication if they are no longer enrolled in the Canvas course.
You can also choose whether to include users who have been manually enrolled or self-enrolled in Digication. This is particularly useful if you have manually added guests or auditors to your course in Digication.
- Click “SYNC” (4) to manually sync the roster from Canvas. The import process will begin and show when the sync is completed.
Advanced options for Canvas integration
There are some additional advanced features available in the Canvas integration. These optional features are not necessary for basic Canvas integration with Digication:
- Create direct links to specific Digication assignments.
- View Canvas connection.
- Edit the title and max point of connected Digication assignments.
- Copy linked Canvas assignments.
- View grade sync history.
- Canvas student view.
For more information about advanced options, please see “Advanced features: integration with Canvas”.